Saturday, December 1, 2012

Intro with drums

Howdy. This blog is really just my training/practice journal, an aid to compliance with my intention to repair and eliminate some physical issues I've been having on and off for the past few years.

My preferred training method is heavy and high intensity weighted work. However, I find that I tend to trigger spasm in my erectors, hip muscles, and also tend to some weird SI joint stuff. As I live way out in the boonies, I decided to make a concerted effort to correct these issues.

To date, I've been doing good for about 90 days. I've been working with Anthony Carey's The Pain Free Program which has been great. I am aware that I have a number of issues that need addressing:

1. I am much, much stronger on my right side.
2. I have instability in my hips that gets ugly during heavy back squats.
3. I have instability in my hips/low back that gets ugly in conventional deadlifts, which are my favorite exercise.
4. My balance is shitty right now.
5. My tendency is to do too much, too soon, and to overcomplicate things.

So this is a journal to keep me in gear. My intention is to do some version of the follwing for some months:

Warm up with exercised from Anthony Carey's book. The into the actual warm up which right now is:

TGU 3 on each side
Goblet Squat 3x10
KB Swings 3x15

The workout plan to start is pretty straight forward:

8-12 sets of 4-8 reps in unilateral leg/hip/glute/exercises:

split squats
1 leg RDL
Front, reverse, side lunges
1 leg squats
Bulgarian split squats
etc. starting with just bodyweight until performance is dialed in, smooth, clean, and pretty. Graceful may be a long time coming, so pretty will have to do.


8-12 sets of upper body push-pull work, mainly:

chins, pull ups, pushups, rows, working into inversions and handstands with any luck.

mostly using my suspension set up, which is a Freestyle Trainer but which I will refer to as a TRX because it simple.

The first two sessions went well, and I'll enter them soon. Balance is awful, but improving. Feel good.

I am working on a simple yoga series, and will be working that, the Anthony Carey exercises, and will be adding some somatics work.

All for know.























No comments:

Post a Comment